“In 1831, the Danish governor, on behalf of the Danish state, bought a “deed” on the newly established plantation Bikuben, including the associated 32 slaves. The plantation was renamed Frederiksgave, after the then Danish king Frederik VI. Upon later acquisition of land, it became 163 acres.
In addition to a main house under construction, on the site in 1831 there was a small town with 12 houses where the slaves lived. It was later expanded to 20 houses. To facilitate transport to the coast, an avenue was built to Fort Christiansborg with tamarind trees imported from India.”